In 1796 the western approaches were effectively patrolled by two powerful frigate squadrons. One of these was commanded by Sir Edward Pellew in the Indefatigable, which he had joined in 1794.
She is seen here, having rounded Ushant, running before a south-westerly breeze along the north Brittany coast with her squadron spread out in a search path. The Indefatigable was originally a 64 but was cut down by one deck and re-rated as a 44-gun frigate. These ships were fast and powerful and could be readily distinguished from other frigates of the period, having one or two unusual features.
Sir Edward Pellew commanded for her over four years, during which time she distinguished herself in a number of celebrated actions.